Map
Photos
Info
Near
All







































Center map to
my position.
Your Position:
Unknown
Λεπτομέρειες ΕικόναςImage details
More Photos
Upload your photos for Konstantinou-Elenis-Trion Ierarchon and share them with us!
Press here.
Konstantinou-Elenis-Trion Ierarchon
Category: Church
Prefecture: Lassithi
Address:
, Suggest

Telephone:
, Suggest



Rate Konstantinou-Elenis-Trion Ierarchon
Average: --
1
2
3
4
5
Αναφορά ως:
Report

Your Opinion
If you want to tell us your opinion about this place, please leave a comment

Post a Comment:

Konstantinou-Elenis-Trion Ierarchon


Church of St Konstantinos, St Helen and the Three Hierarchs

The church of Three Hierarchs is the parish church of the village. The church has two aisles with the south one being dedicated to St Konstantinos & St Helen and the north aisle is dedicated to the Three Hierarchs.

From local history and the dates written on the pictures it is known that the first aisle was built between 1840-1850. The second aisle was built between 1897- 1902 from the locals as an offering after their victory against Turks during the night of 29th - 30th of January which is the Saints’ day. It is said that the temple of the Three Hierarchs is made of the remaining of three cypresses that were set on fire by the Christians against the Turks during the battle in Pilalimata in 1897.



Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994

Places near Konstantinou-Elenis-Trion Ierarchon


Λαογραφικό μουσείο Πεύκων
Λαογραφικό μουσείο Πεύκων 2466 hits
The folklore museum was founded after proposal of Mr Mihalis Mihailidis and Nikolaos Lantzanakis and established under the presidency of Mrs Koula Aggelaki.

For the establishment and organisation of the folklore museum, local and prefectural authorities assisted. In addition, residents of the village offered invaluableness heirlooms which were owned by their ancestors.

The museum includes objects that were important in the everyday life of past eras. For example: household equipment, weavings, loom, agricultural tools, spinning oil lamp machine, vine-press tools, clay pots jars, candlestick and many other tools.

The museum is open from April to October between 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. .

For further details Telephone:28430-51255.

 
Σπήλαιο Απολούστρες
Σπήλαιο Απολούστρες 2442 hits
Apoloustres

The Cave of Apoloustres is located 2.5 km north of the village and it is a gulch of 15-20 metres deep as well. A big gallery 60x15 (WxH) metres and a non visible entrance, made this cave the safest covert of the villages near Pefki.

In 1930 visitors found copper coins depicting a man’s face and the name Marcus Aurelius was stamped around the face on each coin.

Access to that cave is very easy as cars can reach 150m before the entrance and the terrain is not considered difficult to cross.

 

Both caves, Vreiko and Apoloustres were used as coverts by the locals when they were in danger due to piracies and invasions, and many people were saved.

At this point is very important to say that both caves are not equipped with lighting and visitors must have their own equipment to explore the caves.

Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994

Pefki
Pefki 2438 hits
The village of Pefkoi is built in altitude of about 420 metres on the south slope of mountains that have the name of their tallest mountain top, called “Romanati”. The land is rocky at its biggest part and forms a scenery landscape of unique attractiveness.

Above the village is the mountain of Afendis-Stavros ("Stauromenos") in the top of which the homonym tabernacle has been built. South of the village, a mountainous landscape mainly consisting of soil allows the growth of olive trees, fruit-bearing trees and gardening. Big part of the landscape is covered by forests of pines, wild locust trees, olives, bushes and many other forestall plants. Travelling southern the land is more level allowing the growth of vines and greenhouse products.

The region of Pefkoi has coverage of forty thousand acres, is located 35 kilometres south-west of the Sitia town, and 30 kilometres east of Ierapetra. It borders with the village of Krya from the north, while from the south it has the Livykon sea with the scenery beaches of Analypsis, Maky Gialos, Diaskari and Lagkadas in a distance of 7 kilometres. On the west Pefkoi borders with Agios Stefanos village and with Lithines village from the east as well as the Municipality of Maky Gialos.

 

Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994
Estavromenos
Estavromenos 2437 hits
Holy Cross and St Panteleimon

North of the village on the top of the mountain is built the small country church of Holy Cross and a little outer and eastern of the village by the street the little church of Saint Panteleimon. Both were built in the decade 1880-90 by Mr Stavros Kassotakis who is reported as ‘Kasotostavris’.

The place of Temple of Holy Cross offers a scenery view that impress the visitor as the village of Pefki, the slopes form a magnificent landscape ending at the Makry Gialos area and Libikon Sea.


Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994
Panagia Evagelistria
Panagia Evagelistria 2432 hits
Holly Mother the Evangelist
 
It is an early era Christian Temple, 100 roughly metres south-east of the village, it was destroyed by the Saracens initially in 823 A.D. and then twice from the raid of Turks in 1471 and the years when they occupied the island of Crete. It is also said that the temple was destroyed by an earthquake in 1612. The first restoration is said to have taken place by the Byzantine settlers of the village. For the destructions by the Turks it is not known when and who did the restoration, but probably it was restored by residents who survived.
 
The restoration after the earthquake is said that it became from a woman who is reported with the name “Maria”. She was killed by the Turks when they made their last destruction. She is buried in the Temple in a grave under arc-shaped vault that she had made by herself. For this woman it is said that she was very rich and benevolent. Her house was built 500 metres south-east of the temple at the end of a bluff and remaining of her house can still be seen in that location.
 
Πηγή:
 
«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994
Agios Panteleimon
Agios Panteleimon 2432 hits
Holy Cross and St Panteleimon

North of the village on the top of the mountain is built the small country church of Holy Cross and a little outer and eastern of the village by the street the little church of Saint Panteleimon. Both were built in the decade 1880-90 by Mr Stavros Kassotakis who is reported as ‘Kasotostavris’.

The place of Temple of Holy Cross offers a scenery view that impress the visitor as the village of Pefki, the slopes form a magnificent landscape ending at the Makry Gialos area and Libikon Sea.


Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994
Pefkon Gorge
Pefkon Gorge 2430 hits
During summer, on a daily basis, buses occupied by Greek and overseas tourists arrive at Pefkoi village, where they walk through the alleys by taking photos of village and the surrounding area. Every visitor expresses their admiration to the locals for the beauty of the village, and then leave the place by walking through the path west of the village to Analypsis (village which nowadays is joined with the Municipality of Makry Gialos after the rapid growth of the second. ).

Walkers on their way to Analypsis, enjoy the natural beauties of the place, the sun, fresh and full of aroma air of countryside, the mountains and the sea. Beginning from the village, they pass through the olive groves and they pass from the abandoned ‘Ilias’ watermill’ as it is known today. Historic reports referring watermill as abandoned since the years of Saracen Arabs up to the years of sovereignty of Turks, where a chased man from Messara, whose surname was Lantzanis, rebuilt the watermill. The mill in its history was operated by various owners until 1915, with the last owner to be Ilias N. Kanabakis. Apart from grinding cereals Ilias used the mill to process olives in an olive press that he had made for olive oil production. Around 1925 watermill once again was abandoned as the waterflow for the operation of the mill was not enough.

After the watermill, follows the attractive and scenery Gorge of Pefkoi. Its length is about 1000 m, width is an average of 90 m and depth from 10 to 120 m. It is full of pines, platens, locusts, hollies and other forestall plants

At the exit to the south, walkers can taste drinkable spring water. Its fauna during the past was very rich but today only a few is remaining due to continuous deterioration from locals and foreigners. The photographing can become from everywhere with different background each time. Nowadays a pathway has been opened that leads from the gorge entrance to the exit.

Next to the exit of Gorge follows the area known as Megali Lagada (big valley) of ‘Pisokamino’. The slopes are covered mainly by pines and various trees. Continuing on the pathway is an area called ‘Volakas tou Sarakinou’ about 500 metres north of the settlement ‘Aspros Potamos’ (White River). History of ‘Volakas tou Sarakinou’ says that when Saracens invaded in Crete, the locals found a Saracen hiding under a big rock and killed him. From that time this rock was named ‘Volakas tou Sarakinou’. This rock’s top surface is a bit level with a small inclination where there are many stones of a size of an egg. These have become object of observation and query of foreigner passerby, how the stones are placed there and how they remain on the rock. Locals relate this to the difficulties of poor people due to the wars, the raids and other conditions of earlier years. Starvation was their main problem and when hungry children were passing by the rock, were throwing stones to the top of the rock. If the stones remained on top and not rolled down, kids were leaving from the place, with the impression that when they arrive at their homes they will find to eat plenty of food. The opposite would happen if the stone rolled down. Therefore it is believed that the remaining stones on the rock were thrown by the kids.

After that big rock, the pathway connects to the main road, and after the valley of Pisokamino, reaches the attractive settlement of Aspros Potamos (White River).

The same road leads to Analypsis and Makry Gialos, the best tourist place of southern Prefecture of Lasithi.

Midways of turnpike road to Analypsis, the tourists can visit the small church of formerly Abbey of Saint George of Samakidi that built by the todays honoured Saint, ‘Iosif (Josef) Samakidis’ or ‘Samakos’.

The church is located on a big slope that is covered by pines with other trees. The south of that slope meets with the “Katsoulis’ Gorge” which also has its own beauty.

During that route walkers have the chance to see the beautiful landscape view to meet the endless blue sea of Libykon.

Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994
Vreiko Cave
Vreiko Cave 2426 hits
Vreiko
 
The cave of Vreiko is located about 2km north-east of the village. It is a cave and gulch and the known depth is 25-30 metres. The Entrance is an open and flat place that looks like a threshing floor. In the entrance there are stairs that make the entry and exit to the cave easier. A fig tree has grown at that place and its bouches cover a big gallery which is about 60-70 metres long. At the entry and the end of the gallery there are signs from the Neolithic Era.
 
South of the entrance is the gulch (Latsida) where there is water which dries up during autumn. At this part of the cave there metallic stands to assist people on their ways up and down. In every corner of the cave there are beautiful stalactites and stalagmites.
 
It is not difficult to visit this cave as cars can go about 250 metres before the caves entrance on the west side and almost on a daily basis, during summer months people visit the cave.
 

Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994

School
School 2421 hits
In 1957 the Municipal School above the village was built by personal work of men and women of the village. Prior to this there was a school built in 1911 in front of the church it was inadequate for school. The old school building converted to house and it is still maintained but unoccupied. In the earlier years when there was no school in the village students had to walk to the village Stravodoxari or currently known as Stavrochori, and then to the school of Agios Stefanos.

After 1897 during the years of Cretan State a school was founded in the village. Until then for the school purposes a room of local houses was utilised that students’ parents offered every year free of charge. There were not any desks or chairs and each student has to care of his seat, usually a small stool made from trunk. Books were not available to students. Only the teacher had some books and in a limited number. The students for writing were using a black stone plate, on which they were writing using stone from clay.

 

The school of Pefki hereafter stands proudly on the top of the slope that the village is and it functions as Folklore Museum of Former Community of Pefki which maintains the Cultural Association of the village.

Today a modern school functions in Makry Gialos, as well as High school and Lyceum.
 
Πηγή:
«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994