Map
Photos
Info
Near
All







































Center map to
my position.
Your Position:
Unknown
Λεπτομέρειες ΕικόναςImage details
More Photos
Upload your photos for Agios Stephanos and share them with us!
Press here.
Agios Stephanos
Category: Church
Prefecture: Lassithi
Address:
, Suggest

Telephone:
, Suggest



Rate Agios Stephanos
Average: --
1
2
3
4
5
Αναφορά ως:
Report

Your Opinion
If you want to tell us your opinion about this place, please leave a comment

Post a Comment:

Agios Stephanos


 

Places near Agios Stephanos


Aghios Stefanos
Aghios Stefanos 2737 hits

Thirty kilometers east of ierapetra, is the municipal unit of San Stefano that besides the picturesque village includes the popular tourist resort of makrigialos. The settlement's Population is 131 inhabitants (census 2011), 305 inhabitants (census of 1583). 


Built on a hill in 453 m altitude the picturesque village of Agios Stefanos is a prime example of mountain culture of the Cretan people. Its privileged location offers unique views of the Libyan Sea and the mountains of Thryptis while less than six kilometres inhabitants and visitors can enjoy the popular beaches of Makris Gialos.

The older will remember the settlement with the name ' Old ' name for the origin, there are different interpretations, with most believing the present name owes to the impressive church of Saint Stephen, who is known for its distinctive architecture, the Interior and exterior decoration. This is the main reference point of the village, with the small square on the side of to gather in cafes of the villagers. Agios Stefanos distinguishes for its dense building and winding cobblestone streets. Somewhere in there you will find the Kimeri, the old (and now restored) source of the village with the characteristic arch, in troughs which women washed their clothes seasons that the water had not reached even in homes of the village.


On the rough and steep hill at the top of the village, once stood the ' Kastelos "or" Fortezza ". A, ruined, Venetian fortress which is believed to have been built on the foundations of the Citadel, probably of geometric times, and according to the legends of the village was devastated by the raids of the notorious pirate Blackbeard. Although the area does not have become systematic excavations, findings suggest that inhabited from the 9th century BC. Due to the increasing tourism development of makrigialos launched the Decade of the 80 's, many villagers of Agios Stefanos fled the region moving in more "fertile" seafood lands, though nowadays Aghios Stefanos is a mountainous village that comes rapidly. Main cause is-re-discovery of the beauty of the village of tourists who flooded every summer around coastal areas. Dozens of foreigners--mainly northern Europeans-who appreciated the special charm of the area and the mild climate, buying homes and land, moving either occasionally or permanently in Agios Stefanos, giving a more vivid color to the area. The summers the population more than doubled and the area comes alive.

The cafes in the area host all sorts of events from parts of haggling the day up nights learning lyre and bouzouki for foreigners in the region. A characteristic example is Philippe from Belgium, who once traveled in search of Crete, came to stay permanently in Agios Stefanos to erect its own small Observatory, which everyone now can enjoy the starry sky throughout the year.

Estavromenos
Estavromenos 2675 hits
Holy Cross and St Panteleimon

North of the village on the top of the mountain is built the small country church of Holy Cross and a little outer and eastern of the village by the street the little church of Saint Panteleimon. Both were built in the decade 1880-90 by Mr Stavros Kassotakis who is reported as ‘Kasotostavris’.

The place of Temple of Holy Cross offers a scenery view that impress the visitor as the village of Pefki, the slopes form a magnificent landscape ending at the Makry Gialos area and Libikon Sea.


Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994
Pefkon Gorge
Pefkon Gorge 2671 hits
During summer, on a daily basis, buses occupied by Greek and overseas tourists arrive at Pefkoi village, where they walk through the alleys by taking photos of village and the surrounding area. Every visitor expresses their admiration to the locals for the beauty of the village, and then leave the place by walking through the path west of the village to Analypsis (village which nowadays is joined with the Municipality of Makry Gialos after the rapid growth of the second. ).

Walkers on their way to Analypsis, enjoy the natural beauties of the place, the sun, fresh and full of aroma air of countryside, the mountains and the sea. Beginning from the village, they pass through the olive groves and they pass from the abandoned ‘Ilias’ watermill’ as it is known today. Historic reports referring watermill as abandoned since the years of Saracen Arabs up to the years of sovereignty of Turks, where a chased man from Messara, whose surname was Lantzanis, rebuilt the watermill. The mill in its history was operated by various owners until 1915, with the last owner to be Ilias N. Kanabakis. Apart from grinding cereals Ilias used the mill to process olives in an olive press that he had made for olive oil production. Around 1925 watermill once again was abandoned as the waterflow for the operation of the mill was not enough.

After the watermill, follows the attractive and scenery Gorge of Pefkoi. Its length is about 1000 m, width is an average of 90 m and depth from 10 to 120 m. It is full of pines, platens, locusts, hollies and other forestall plants

At the exit to the south, walkers can taste drinkable spring water. Its fauna during the past was very rich but today only a few is remaining due to continuous deterioration from locals and foreigners. The photographing can become from everywhere with different background each time. Nowadays a pathway has been opened that leads from the gorge entrance to the exit.

Next to the exit of Gorge follows the area known as Megali Lagada (big valley) of ‘Pisokamino’. The slopes are covered mainly by pines and various trees. Continuing on the pathway is an area called ‘Volakas tou Sarakinou’ about 500 metres north of the settlement ‘Aspros Potamos’ (White River). History of ‘Volakas tou Sarakinou’ says that when Saracens invaded in Crete, the locals found a Saracen hiding under a big rock and killed him. From that time this rock was named ‘Volakas tou Sarakinou’. This rock’s top surface is a bit level with a small inclination where there are many stones of a size of an egg. These have become object of observation and query of foreigner passerby, how the stones are placed there and how they remain on the rock. Locals relate this to the difficulties of poor people due to the wars, the raids and other conditions of earlier years. Starvation was their main problem and when hungry children were passing by the rock, were throwing stones to the top of the rock. If the stones remained on top and not rolled down, kids were leaving from the place, with the impression that when they arrive at their homes they will find to eat plenty of food. The opposite would happen if the stone rolled down. Therefore it is believed that the remaining stones on the rock were thrown by the kids.

After that big rock, the pathway connects to the main road, and after the valley of Pisokamino, reaches the attractive settlement of Aspros Potamos (White River).

The same road leads to Analypsis and Makry Gialos, the best tourist place of southern Prefecture of Lasithi.

Midways of turnpike road to Analypsis, the tourists can visit the small church of formerly Abbey of Saint George of Samakidi that built by the todays honoured Saint, ‘Iosif (Josef) Samakidis’ or ‘Samakos’.

The church is located on a big slope that is covered by pines with other trees. The south of that slope meets with the “Katsoulis’ Gorge” which also has its own beauty.

During that route walkers have the chance to see the beautiful landscape view to meet the endless blue sea of Libykon.

Πηγή:

«Πεύκοι “Τόπος και Ιστορία”», Γεωργίου Θ. Καναβάκη (Καναβογιώργη), Έκδοση Κοινότητας Πεύκων, Ιούλιος – Αύγουστος 1994