Center map to
my position.
Your Position:
Λεπτομέρειες ΕικόναςImage details
More Photos
Upload your photos for Archanes Archaeological museum and share them with us!
Press here.
Archanes Archaeological museum
Category: Museum
Prefecture: Heraclion
, Suggest

, Suggest

Rate Archanes Archaeological museum
Average: --
Αναφορά ως:

Your Opinion
If you want to tell us your opinion about this place, please leave a comment

Post a Comment:

Archanes Archaeological museum

A small but informative museum in Archanes village, 18km south of Heraklion Town, which contains finds from the town and the surrounding sites. On display are some well-preserved Minoan larnakes (clay coffins) from the Nekropolis at Fourni dating from around 1800 BC, as well as some engraved gold rings.

There are also objects from the Archanes Palace and remarkable finds from Anemospilia (Cave of the Wind), where human sacrifice seems to have taken place. The exhibition occupies a single room; the exhibits are arranged along the walls and in display cases in the centre of the room.Upon entering the room, the visitor should move from left to right. The first six display cases (1-6) contain finds from the Minoan burial ground at Fourni, west of Archanes. The excavation of this burial ground, which was in use for more than one thousand years (2400-1200 BC), has yielded important information on the burial customs of this period since it has uncovered thousands of burials, as well as a wealth of offerings.Terracotta RhytonIn this section, special attention should be paid to the copy of a clay rattle found in Fourni and displayed in case no 4. It is a musical instrument, also known to us from the representation on the so-called Harvester’s Vase on display at the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion. Other finds from burials in Fourni are displayed in an artificial hollow designed to evoke an underground burial; these include three clay sarcophagi with their covers and three burial urns (commonly used for the burial of children).Another remarkable section of the exhibition is the one concerning sanctuaries and worship. The most important finds in this section come from the sanctuary of Anemospilia, on Mt. Juktas, west of Archanes. Here the archaeologists found the skeletons of three people who had been killed when the roof and the walls collapsed because of an earthquake, as well as a skeleton tied upon an altar. Apparently, at the moment of the earthquake there was a human sacrifice under way in order to avert it.Many-Handled Storage PithosDisplay case no. 9 shows evidence of everyday activities; in display case no. 11 we can see specimens of pottery from the New Palace period, while the theme of display case no. 12 is stone masonry. Display case no. 13 contains shards from clay vases dating from different periods.Table 1, facing the entrance, represents the excavation of the palace in the Turkish district, while display cases 14-19 contain finds from the palace and from Fourni (ivory objects, fragments of frescoes and libation vessels). The final two exhibits date from the historical period of Archanes (an altar of the 1st century AD and the marble head of a young woman from the 3rd century AD) and testify to the area’s importance in the centuries that followed the downfall of Minoan civilization.


Places near Archanes Archaeological museum

Image Coming Soon
Palace in Tourkogeitonia 2831 hits

The central core of the palace is found in the center of the town of Archanes, 12km south from Heraklion City. One of the central entries was revealed in 1964 from G. Sakellaraki. Even if the group is found under the modern houses and consequently its total excavation is impossible, we already know a lot for the building.
The palace was built around 1900 BC, the period that all big palaces were built. The size should include the central core of the town. Except from its dimensions, other elements that justify the building to be characterized as a palace are architecture, the materials use and layout. The palace building of Archanes can be compared only with the palaces of Knossos and Faistos, in no case with those of Malion or Zakrou.

The entry in the central courtyard, a place with seats, the “throne room”, a circular reservoir, a file of Linear A Writing, a theatrical place, craft-based and laboratorial places have been excavated. The walls were adorned with murals. It was destroyed in 1450 BC.

The palace in [Toyrkogeitonia] is open for the visitors only during the summer months if a guide is available.

Image Coming Soon
Historical and Folklore Museum of Archanes 2813 hits

Historical and Folklore Museum of Archanes of Crete. Archanes village is located 18km south of Heraklion city.

It contains an immense collection of photos etc. from the Battle of Crete as well as personal belongings of General Kreipe, who was kidnapped in Archanes in April 1944.

Arhanes 2735 hits
The name of Archanes is only found once during the antiquity years in a sign of the 5th eon BC. It was found in the Peloponnesian town of Argos and it reports a treaty between Knosians and Tylissians. The root arch-, ach- of the name, is related to water. A lot of names belonging to rivers and lakes have this root. It is true that Archanes have abundant water and this is also the case for antiquity. The 14th eon AD, sightseers report Archanes in combination with Zeus’ grave, that is located in Monte Jove, Giouchta. It is certain that between the 5th eon BC and the 13th eon AC the name of Archanes was replaced by the name of Knossos. Archanes was part of Knossos in both Greek and Roman years.The name is not found until 1271 AD, where it is in a contract in Chandaka, as “CATO ARCHANO”. In another contract of 1280 AD it is found in the word “APANO ARHANO”. In 1577 AD two communities are reported, “ARCHANES PETREA” with 151 residents and “ARCHANES ABRAMOCORI” with 361 residents. Hence in the period of Venetian domination Archanes were two separate settlements. In the Egyptian inventory of 1834 AD the village of ARCHANES is reported with 160 Christian and 6 Turkish families. In 1881 AD Archanes is presented as a separate Municipality, the seat being in Archanes.

Archanes, Heraklion Archanes, Heraklion Archanes, Heraklion Archanes, Heraklion Archanes, Heraklion 

Newer History

The 20th century gives in Archanes the chance to start a new chapter of peaceful life. The rifle is stored; the ground is planted with trees and vines, new houses were built and new streets were created. Charilaos Markodimitrakis did the first inventory and municipal census in 1900-1901, while the same year begins the building of the new school that was completed in 1925.In 1901 the new Cemetery was inaugurated. Until then, the courtyard of the church of Virgin Mary was used.At the war of komitatzidon (1904), the Archanians were among the first to fight and honoured not only Archanes, but also the entire Crete. Archanians during that time had remarkable activity in every sector of life, however the immigration movement of these years did affect them. North and South America, Egypt and other countries received hundreds of Archanians.The first car made its appearance in the town in 1913. During the revolutionary wars of 1912-13, the Archanian’s contribution was great, in Epirus, Macedonia and Asia Minor. Tens were the wounded and sick that turned back from war expedition in Asia Minor.The Union of Reservist Officers in order to thank and honour their offer and sacrifice, built in 1928 a memorial made of marble in the entrance of the town, where all names of fallen Archanians in these heroic wars are recorded.Period between First and Second World WarIn 1922 many refugees from Asia Minor came in Archanes, Archanians offered them care and work. The refugees were based in the western side of the village, in the neighbourhood that until today is called Synoikismos (Settlement). As time passed the old Municipalities of Crete were abolished and Archanes became a Community that included only the town of Archanes and the settlements of Bathypetro and Karnari.In 1925 the Credit Association that constituted the core of the current “Wine, Olive and Credit Cooperative of Archanes” was founded, one of the greatest Agricultural Organizations in Greece, while the same time the first High School starts to train students in the town.In 1926 for the first time the town receives electricity and during the next year (1927) a voiceless cinema room in the beginning and later a regular cinema room operates. The same year the first hydraulic network of the town is organized.In January 1929 for the first time in Archanes a regular Census service begins to operate. The “EDUCATIVE ASSOCIATION” as well as the Conservatoire of Archanes as an annex of the Conservatoire in Athens begin to operate. However, after the German Occupation the Conservatoire did not operate again. On the contrary, the scout teams that were founded the same period continue their action even today.During the decade 1931-40 the “Rozaki” wine of Archanes acquires great fame both in Greece and in markets abroad while great quantities of precious raki are produced.Albanian War and the German OccupationDuring the Albanian war, Archanians fought with the heroic Fifth Cretan Division, in the mountain sector of “Trempesinas - Senteli” and even in heights of 1800-2000 meters, where the Division suffered tremendous losses, more losses than any other division of the Greek army at that time.In the battle of Crete, Archanes played an important role in the resistance of the island against the Germans. During the period of German occupation, the Administrative center of the Greek Forces is based in the region, while at the same time a military hospital is operating. The most impressive, however, fact of the Cretan resistance was the kidnapping of German general Kraipe, which took place in the area of Archanes.

Archanes, Heraklion Archanes, Heraklion Archanes, Heraklion Archanes, Heraklion Yiouchtas mountain in Archanes, Heraklion 


Archanes today Today - Rebuilding programs

POPULATION: 3860 (Census 2001)ALTITUDE: 380m.DISTANCE FROM Heraklio: 15 km

The rich architectural heritage of the municipality of Archanes and the sensitivity of the locals, gave the momentum in the beginning of the 90’s in the municipal authority of that time to begin the Archanes’ rebuilding program.The construction projects that preceded the rebuilding program were:• Manufacture of separate sewage network separating sewages and rain waters• Replacement of water supply network• Construction of underground electrical network by the Greek NATIONAL ELECTRICAL COMPANY, removal of pillars and placement of municipal lighting on poles and walls in traditional form.• Construction of underground TV networks so that building roofs no longer suffer from the abundance of non-aesthetic aerials.Projects that followed:• Rebuilding of communal spaces, squares and parks• Upgrading of municipal roads along with their paving, manufacturing of flowerbeds and planting of ornamental plants.• Restoration and re-establishment of traditional and neoclassic municipal buildings, churches and residences.• Rebuilding and upgrading of the market. The aspects of shops were restored, metal shelters were placed and store labels as well as luminous signs were replaced with new painted wooden ones that respect the traditional character of the