Places near Aghia Pelagia
Overlooking the Bay of Mirabello and on the crossroads between the three major towns of the County, is located in the seaside village of Pachia Ammos. Characteristic are the many taverns on the beach and of course the great importance of Minoan settlement of Gournia is located under. The population of the village is 574 inhabitants (census 2011), 162 inhabitants (census of 1928, [first recording) the blonde bimbo sand that stretches in a large seafront responsible apparently for the name with the first report is the 1630 but without recorded the village. He created several later, in the early 20th century and evolved very quickly, with a small tourist facilities and of course the famous fish taverns.
Now Pachia Ammos is a milestone for everyone who visits the Lassithi while summers apart from the long beach of is famous for the many events which attract crowds.
Pachia Ammos nowadays is the seat of the Institute for the study of the prehistoric Aegean, Eastern Crete curated systematic archaeological research in the region.
The Minoan town of Gournia, 2 km west of Pachia Ammos, who flourished around 1600p. Ch. built regional at little Hill, on top of which there was little Palace square for the rituals.
Faneromeni monastery, dedicated to the Hooly Mary’w death and Zoodochos Pigi probably founded during the Byzantine period. In the liberating fights there took the persecuted Christians, but the chieftains and the fighters of the region for shelter and empowerment.
The villages of Pahia Ammos together with that of Kavoussi, extends at the northern part of the county of Ierapetra. It covers the area from the western slope of the mountain "Thripti" to the coast at the creek of the gulf of Mirabello. East of the village of Pahia Ammos stands the imposing gorge of Ha which is refuge of many species of Cretan flora and fauna. In some cases, depending on the weather conditions, the western slope of the mountain is ideal for paragliding and parapente.
Gournia-its ancient name is unknown- is the most typical excavated example of a medium settlement size of the Minoan edge region (1700-1540 BC).
The town was established in a low hill to Isthmus of Ierapetra close to the sea. Two regional paved roads intersected by slashes to them, usually graduated, all connected to the sewerage system, define building blocks, seven of which have already been excavated.
The palace – local lord’s home – is in the top of the hill. It was its center and most probably the settlement’s market. A series of steps in the southern side was its “theatrical place” for religious ceremonial events.
Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos