Places near Church
The Archaeological Museum, located alongside the harbor, was built circa 1900, mainly to house finds from the excavation of the “Pit of Purification” (dating from the 5th century B.C.) and the necropolis of Rhenia.
It was designed by Alexandros Lykakis and paid for by the Ministry of Education and the Archaeological Society of Athens, while the land was donated by the Municipality of Mykonos. The original Neoclassical building assumed its present, "insular" form in 1934, and the large, eastern room, was added in 1972.
The exhibition of the museum includes a large number of vases, ranging from the prehistoric to the late Hellenistic period (25th-1st century B.C.), grave statues, stelae and funerary urns from Rheneia, and very few finds from Mykonos. The museum contains collections which include funerary statues and grave stelae dating from the 2nd/1st century B.C., pottery dating from the 25th to the 1st century B.C., clay figurines dated to the 2nd/1st century B.C., jewellery and small objects of the 2nd/1st century B.C.
There is a large collection of vessels especially represented of Cycladic ceramics dating from the Geometric period until the 6th cent. B.C. Also on exhibit are wonderful black figure and red figure pottery and diverse finds, including Hellenistic period gravestones and other sculpture.
Among the finds from Mykonos, especially impressive is the “Pithos of Mykonos”: a large jar, (made in a workshop on Tinos the 7th cent. B.C.) Richly decorated with bas – relief zones of bas-relief depicting various scenes from the Trojan War (the central composition shows Achaian warriors with the Trojan Horse).
Open 8:30 a.m to 3:00 p.m, daily except Monday and major public holidays.