Places near Ipsosi Timiou Stavrou - Agios Nikitas
Agia Irini (St. Irene) (Kavoussi)
The single-space, Byzantine church dedicated to Saint Irene dates back to 1410 and is a modest arch-covered church adorned with murals.
The Venetians listed it in 1583 as Lastro with 285 inhabitants. Today, even though it is one of the most beautiful villages of the whole District, it is in danger of being deserted.
Α Minoan settlement and a necropolis of the Late Μinoan period have been located in the area, and at Langades two more graves of the same period were found. Finds of the Archaic period also turned up in the Kinigospilios cave. The church of Agios Georgios in the village is Byzantine, but the frescoes have been whitewashed over and destroyed, and the only remaining thing of interest is the Venetian bell dated 1609.
From the book "Sitia", N.Papadakis, Arcaeologist,1983
Village between the beautiful Sitia mountains. The traditional village Mpemponas northwest of Chrisopigi, which is famous for the oldest plane tree of the region and the cave Thergiotrypa, is another favourite tourist destination.
During the summer months a lot of visitors stay at the traditional houses and visit its coffeehouses to enjoy the perfect stillness of the scenery and the beauty of nature.
Ideal for hiking : Chrissopigi - Bebonas (Hiking from Chrisopigi to Kavousi)