Places near Timios Stavros
Houmeriako is a traditional village close to the larger village of Limnes eastwards from Neapoli in the valley of Mirabello and is spread on 3 small hills and enjoys some spectacular views down across the Limnes valley.
In the old days, it constituted the seat of the Municipality with its depended villages Vrisses, Limnes, Nikithiano, Exo Lakonia and other small settlements. It is one of the oldest villages in the area. On this land many interesting churches are preserved: Agios Panteleimon, Agia Triada, Agios Georgios, Agios Kirikos and Agios Antonios. The "Romana Portella"(Roman Gate) that used to be the residence of some unknown sovereign, is an important monument. Nikithiano is a settlement next to Houmeriako, at 2 km from Neapolis. Small and picturesque, this settlement is known for its windmills; 15 windmills in a straight line.
There is a small shop in Houmeriako, taverna and kafeneon in the village. The town of Neapolis with all its facilities including restaurants, cafeterias, shops and banks is within 2kms, whilst the cosmopolitan town of Agios Nikolaos and local beaches are approx 10 kms away.
It is dedicated to the assumption of Virgin Mary and celebrates on August 15. It is the only surviving example in eastern Crete of a ‘cross-in-square’ domed church. The main part of the church dates to the end of the 11th or early 12th century, while the attached narthex on the west side dates from the Venetian occupation.
The church was completely restored in 2008 by the 13th Archaeological Service of Byzantine Antiquities. Remarkable architectural and decorative elements of the church are its dome, the saw-tooth strip under the roofing tiles, the blind arches, the alternating masonry blocks and bricks, and the stone-carved doorframe of the entrance. All the inside parts of the masonry appear to have been covered with frescoes, which once decorated the church.
The monastery was built at the end of the sixteenth century. The date 1593 appears over the main entrance to the monastery, and the year 1622 in the church. This beautifully situated monastery on the slope of a hill overlooking Neapolis, was occupied by the Turkish administrator of the Lassithi prefecture, Kostis Pasha, while Neapolis was being built. I visited it as part of a very small group and the nuns were very welcoming - offering us a drink and a chance to cool down inside the monastery. They also have a small shop with some beautiful hand made items which is worth a look. All money goes to the upkeep of this fabulous place.
ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ ΒΡΥΣΩΝ ΜΕΡΑΜΒΕΛ