Press here.
Places near Agios Georgios
The church of Agios Georgios Galatas is located within the archaeological site of Agia Triada, the summer Minoan Royal Villa which is located 3 km west of the Palace of Phaistos, and built in Byzantine period.
It is stated that the church was built in 1302, but seems that it existed and renovated that year. In the interior of the church there are unique frescoes of the 14th century. On the north wall outside the church there is a grave of 1581, which bears the double-headed eagle, symbol of the Byzantine Empire. Unusual is the temple of the church which is built of stone.
It is the second in size archeological site of west Mesara, after Phaistos. The distance between them is about 3km. It took its name by a small deserted settlement of the Venetian period, which is preserved west from the archeological site, and by its homonym church. The Minoan palace, the settlement and its cemeteries were excavated by F. Albert and his partners in 1902-1904. The site was inhabited since the beginning of the pre-palatial period. The most imposing monuments from this period are two domed tombs. The diameter of the largest is 9m. Their entrance is in the east and in the south there were burial and ritual chambers.From the pre-palatial period, we only have a vague image of the settlement. During the neo-palatial period, Aghia Triada was the political and administrative center. There are many findings from this period (Linear A inscriptions, stamps, ect.).In 1450 the settlement of Aghia Triada was destroyed along with Phaistos, and after 1400 Aghia Triada became once again the center of Mesara. The new plan of the palatial city includes monumental buildings that are not found anywhere else in Crete. The southern sector includes the palatial hall, the headquarters of the local authority and next to it an arcade facing the paved plateau with the altars. In the western extremity of the arcade there was an independent temple with paintings of octopuses and dolphins on the floor. The new plan also included storage chambers on the market plateau. North from the plateau, there were two large -probably administrative- buildings.
