It’s a two floor traditional architecture building located in the oldest district of Ierapetra, in Kato Mera. Upon tradition Napoleon Bonaparte stayed in the building during the one-day or a few days stop in Crete during his return from Egypt.
The building’s morphology is converging towards its date in late 18th or early 19th century, without excluding the construction of an earlier era.
Places near Napoleon's House
1ο ΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
3ο ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
Kalliopi Sfakianaki Law Office
1 Koraka StIerapetra, Crete, Greece
Tel.: 2842023630, Mobile:6948893049
Ierapetra’s mosque in Kato Mera area was built according to dates listed in the infrared entrance and the south wall medal, the year of Hegira 1309. (189/892) perhaps the oldest mosque position.
It is a building square with a wooden, four-sided roof plan covered with tiles. In its architecture elements that come from neoclassical and eclectic tendencies are distinguished, that arrived in Crete during the last 19th century decades.
In the mosque’s northwest corner as it is used, a head uncovered today minaret is discovered. The upper portion crashed in the 1953 earthquake.
Ottoman fountain is located in the southwest of the mosque and form with it a remarkable complex of the Ottoman architecture in Crete.
The fountain belongs to the fountain category sebil and a constituted expiation before worshipers entry to the mosque.
5ο ΝΗΠΙΑΓΩΓΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ ΕΙΔΙΚΟ
1ο ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
1ο ΝΗΠΙΑΓΩΓΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
6ο ΝΗΠΙΑΓΩΓΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
3ο ΝΗΠΙΑΓΩΓΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
1ο ΕΝΙΑΙΟ ΛΥΚΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ
ΝΗΠΙΑΓΩΓΕΙΟ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ ΕΙΔΙΚΟ
Ν.Α. ΛΑΣΙΘΙΟΥ - Δ/ΝΣΗ ΒΙΟΜΗΧΑΝΙΑΣ, Δ/ΝΣΗ ΠΟΛΕΟΔΟΜΙΑΣ, Δ/ΝΣΗ ΜΕΤΑΦΟΡΩΝ & ΕΠΙΚΟΙΝΩΝΙΩΝ, Δ/ΝΣΗ ΕΡΓΑΣΙΑΣ
ΓΕΩΔΥΝΑΜΙΚΟ - ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑ - ΚΕΝΤΡΟ ΙΣΟΓΕΙΟ ΟΤΕ
Bride of the Libyan Sea... The town of Ierapetra is located on the south coast of Crete, along the beach of Ierapetra Bay. It lies south of Agios Nikolaos and southwest of Sitia and is an important regional centre. With its 15,400 inhabitants (2001) it is the most populous town in the prefecture of Lasithi, and the fourth town of Crete. Ierapetra is popularly known as the southernmost town of Europe, nicknamed "bride of the Libyan Sea" because of its position as the only town on the south coast of Crete. Having the great fortune to be the southernmost town of Europe, Ierapetra enjoys the mildest weather, with the least annual rainfall and a temperature that rarely drops below 12 C all year long. History... Ierapetra has had a place in the history of Crete since the Minoan period. The Greek and later Roman town of Hierapytna was on the same sight as present day Ierapetra. In the Classical Age, Ierapytna became the strongest town of eastern Crete. Later, in the 3rd century BC, Hierapytna was infamous for its tendency to piracy. Its importance ended when it was destroyed by the Romans in 67 BC. It was soon rebuilt, but was soon surpassed by the city of Gortyn. Today remains of the Roman harbor can still be seen in the shallow bay. In AD 824 it was destroyed by Arab invaders, only to be rebuilt as a base for pirates (again!). In the Venetian Age, from the 13th to the 17th centuries, Ierapetra - now known by its present name - became prosperous again. The fortress of Kales, built in 1626 to protect the harbor, is a remnant of this period, although local myth says it was built by the Genoese pirate Pescatore in 1212. In July 1798 Ierapetra made a small step into world history: Napoleon stayed with a local family during his voyage to Egypt. The house where he stayed can still be seen. In the Ottoman period a mosque was built in the town. Finds from Ierapetra's past can be found in the local Museum of Antiquities, formerly a school for Turkish children. The centrepiece of the exhibition is a well preserved statue of Persephone. Interesting Sights... Present day Ierapetra, consists of two quite distinct parts, Kato Mera and Pano Mera. Kato Mera is the old town on the southwestern headland. It is characterized by a medieval street layout with narrow alleyways, cul-de-sacs and small houses, creating a village-like atmosphere. The former mosque and the "house of Napoleon" can be found in this neighbourhood, as can Aghios Georgios metropolitan church (built in 1856) in the town?s center. It is considered one of the most interesting churches of Crete. The ceiling of the church has many "blind" domes. Those, as well as the central dome, are wooden (mainly cedar wood). Pano Mera is the much bigger new town, with wider streets and three and four storey houses. Pano Mera is still expanding towards the west, north and east. The awarded beaches of Ierapetra... Ierapetra is build on the longest beach in Crete, offering an endless choise of golden beaches with deep crystal blue waters, far away from industrial areas and ships passing by! All major beaches of Ierapetra from Myrtos to Makris Ghialos, are awarded with the European Committee's "BLUE FLAGS" each single year!
Having the distinction of being the southernmost town facing the African coast, Ierapetra enjoys the smoothest, almost rainless weather in Europe, with a temperature that rarely drops below 12 C all year long!
No doubt, Ierapetra the bridge of the Libyan sea is the sunniest holiday resort in Europe.
The character and charm of the old warm neighborhood has been retained, whilst it has been given new life as a shopping and eating experience for the visitor. A tempting variety of shops, open-air cafes, bars, restaurants and traditional taverns, makes Ierapetra the ideal place to relax, enjoying shopping, eating, drinking or simply wondering around! Ierapetra combines a brilliant past with a present of economic growth and extension. It has the largest population in the prefecture of Lassithi (East Crete) and the fourth largest in all Crete.
In 1981 census 8,570 inhabitants were registered within the town, and the population of the greater Ierapetra community including the villages of Kendri, Gra Lygia, Vainia and Stavros was 10,732.The visitor can take a leisurely walk in the vivid center of the town, along the coast, in the small municipal park near the Town Hall, or in the quiet picturesque narrow streets of Kato Mera - the old part of the town.Pick up a handmade gift from a colorful market stall and enjoy the exciting sounds of busy Cretan life!
IERAPETRA IN ANCIENT TIMES (KYRVA PYTNA, HIERAPYTNA)
Ierapetra is one of the greatest cities of the ancient period, named Kyrva. The town was later renamed Pytna and finally Hierapytna which means “sacred hill”, because of its holly temple that stood there in the ancient years. The first b.C. century, Ierapetra was one of the most important ports of Crete, taking advantage of its strategic place for trades with Eastern and Southern Mediterranean states.
Very interesting facts of Ierapetra’s historic route though time can be figured out visiting its great archaeological collection that is housed in the Ottoman school. This collection started gathering at the end of 9th century when residents established the Educational Club of Ierapetra with a goal to collect and preserve the ancient region.
Ierapetra’s archaeological collection covers the period from the 3rd millennium b.C. until the 5th century a.C. Every visitor has the chance to admire the clay sarcophagus- amphorae with graphic images-inscriptions, clays, coins and a beautiful statue of the goddess Persephone, goddess of Ierapetra.
Ierapetra’s Ottoman school was built in the 19th century’s 2nd half. Its characteristic is the three entrance configuration that have been placed, the one in the middle and the other two in the tips of the first rectangular ground plan.
From these three entrances the central has been shaped with facts of Venetian and Ottoman architecture and are made from carved limestone.
The building is one of the most important of southern Crete and has been connected to Ierapetra’s history and the resident’s historic memories.
The present Metropolis of Ierapetra and Siteia with its seat in the city of Ierapetra occupies the southern and eastern part of the county of Lasithi and includes the former provinces of Ierapetra and Siteia as well as the communities of Kalo Chorio of Merambellou and Kato (Lower) Symi of Viannos. The Metropolis originated from the union of the Diocese of Ierapetra, which is one of the oldest dioceses of Crete with its bishop already participating in the Synod of Sardica in AD 343, and the Diocese of Siteia which was founded already from the 7th or 8th centuries. The Diocese of Ierapetra included the provinces of Merambellou, Lasithi, and Viannos. However, with the creation of the Diocese of Petra which appears already in the 10th century, the Diocese of Ierapetra was named Ieras while a part of its district was detached to be incorporated into that of Petra. The Dioceses of Ierapetra and Siteia were consolidated in the 19th century, initially with the name Ierositeia, while from 1962, they are known as the Metropolis of Ierapetra and Siteia. In the middle Byzantine period, the cathedral church of Ierapetra was the church of the All-Holy Virgin of the Seven Domes, in the settlement of Episkopi, while it seems that the church of the All-Holy Virgin in Apano (Upper) Episkopi and the church of the Holy Apostles in Kato (Lower) Episkopi were used alternately as the cathedral churches of the Diocese of Siteia.
The Archaeological Museum in Ierapetra (for the exact location of the Museum see the map below) was founded at the end of the 19 th century, during the Turkish occupation, and after having changed many places is now housed at the building of the Commercial Ottoman School.
The Collection includes:
Minoan Art. The findings representative of this era all come from outside the area of the modern town. The most important of these is a clay larnax (no. 822). It was found in a rock-cut, horseshoe-shaped tomb in the area of Episkope in the autumn of 1946 by Professor N. Platon at Ierapetra and dates to 1450-1400 B.C. It is cist-shaped, with a saddled lid, crowned with a bull-head and a human figurine. The painted decoration covers all the sides of the sarcophagus and includes scenes of outdoors everyday life, placed in frames.
Geometric Art. There is very little to represent geometric art in the collection, due to the fact that there are really very few geometric sites in the district. The finds are mostly figurines and vases from 9 th to 8 th century B.C.
Archaic Art. There are also not many exhibits of Archaic art. Mostly figurines and terracota votive plaques in relief. Despite the introduction of mass production one can immediately see, in the forms of the period, that a great step forward in the handling of the modeling of small figurines has taken place since the previous period; this is the beginning of the later remarkable development of the plastic arts.
Classical and Hellenistic Art. These two periods are presented together, because on the one hand Doric Hierapytna developed and came to the fore in the region apart from the direct political and cultural influences which were affecting the rest of the Helladic world outside of Crete, and on the other hand these finds have not been properly evaluated yet, although they constitute an important part of the collection. Most of these exhibits, figurines and vases, come from ancient Hierapytna.
Graeco - Roman Art. The term Graeco- Roman is applied to the work of local artists and craftsmen under the influence of the Romans. A series of lamps shows less the form than the favorite motifs for decorating the discus. Sculpture - Statues
A large number of statues has been recovered from the Viglia area where the ancient city was situated. Most of them, of the Roman period are headless. There are life-size statues and statuettes and larger than life-size pieces.
1ο ΤΕΕ ΙΕΡΑΠΕΤΡΑΣ