Places near Minas Georgiadis
ΚΕΠ ΝΟΜΑΡΧΙΑΚΗΣ ΑΥΤΟΔΙΟΙΚΗΣΗΣ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
The church of Saint Titus (First Bishop of Crete) is one of the most interesting religious monuments in the centre of the city. The Skull of the Apostle Saint Titus is kept at the church.
During the 2nd Byzantine period, the church, which was the most official and larger in Chandax, became the cathedral of the new Cretan Diocese. The Venetians later converted it into the Catholic Diosese. During the Ottoman rule, it was converted into a mosque (Vizier mosque) and the bell tower into a minaret. The church has suffered repeated destructions by earthquakes and fires. Nevertheless, conquerors of each period ensured its immediate restoration, since it was the city's most significant religious monument. In 1925 following the population exchange the church came within the juristiction of the Church of Crete.
The Gate Makasi (meaning "switchman" in Turkish) is a military gate of the Venetian Walls of Heraklion, the gallery of which had a length of 110 meters. The gallery leads to the eastern low square of Martinengo bastion, that housed the canons that protected the bastion Bethlehem.
The gallery is used as a memorial for the National Resistance in Crete, as here the Germans imprisoned hundreds of locals in the Second World War. On July 15, 1943, when the so-called Big Blockade of Crete took place, dozens of Christians and Jews were captured and imprisoned here.
On November 4, 1943, many prisoners were transferred to Mauthausen concentration camp, while other 600 boarded on June 8, 1944 in Tanais ferry to Piraeus. However in the open sea, the Germans got rid of the 600 souls by sinking the ship and then announced that the British navy sank ship. The Germans never paid for these atrocities, just like all such stories in Crete.
The Museum of the Battle of Crete and National Resistance (1941-1945) was founded by the Municipality of Heraklion in May 1994.
Castello del Molo (Koules)
The fortress dominating the entrance to the Venetian harbour has been variously referred to as the Castello del Molo, the Rocca a Mare and the Koules.
The Fortress of Koules in Heraklion Crete: The Venetian Castle of Heraklion is called Koules, which means “fortress” in Turkish. It is an impressive fortress that surrounds the harbor of Heraklion, Crete. The Koules Castle is a massive fortress with two storeys that used to guard the entry to the port. The Castle was constructed by the Venetians in the early 13th century, when they conquered the town. The earliest description of the Koules Venetian Castle exists in the work of the Florentine monk Cristoforo Buondelmonti in 1429.The Fortress was primarily built for the storage of the food stuff and the military supplies. It also served as the quarter for the officers and as a prison. A devastating earthquake completely destroyed the Castle in 1303 and it was rebuilt by the Genoese. The fortress was again restored during 1523 – 1540 and got its ultimate form. During the Ottoman rule, the Castle was again transformed to a prison. Several Cretan heroes who revolted against the Ottomans had been imprisoned in the castle and had been killed in the dark dungeons.The architecture of the Castle is the typical Venetian architectural style. The construction was such that the walls of the Castle could protect the breakwater of the harbor. The Castle was made of stones. The ground floor has vaulted roof with broad fanlight. The walls were very thick and were divided into 26 apartments serving as the residence of the “Kastelanos”, the officer responsible for the well-being of the castle, as well as the dwellings of the captains and other officers.A part of the ground floor was also used as the storeroom. There were three carvings of the Lion of St. Mark in the Castle. The one at the sea side of the castle exists to these days. The upper floor and the basis of a minaret were added in the original construction by the Ottomans. Today the Koules Venetian Castle has been cleaned and restored many times. It is visited by thousands of people every year and constists the trademark of Heraklion town.
In the early 20th century Heraklion was the island's largest centre of commerce, and radical changes to the town plan were called for in response to the demands of a modern city.Public works involving the demolition of monuments in the harbour area were initiated by the government of the Independent Cretan State and completed after World War Two.
In the initial phase, the Shipyard Gate and the half bastion protecting it, the Harbour Gate and a sizeable section of the arsenali were knocked down to make room for the sea-front road and an extension to the harbour.
A cargo dock was then built on the site previously occupied by the small Koules. Finally, a modern port serving passenger ferries and cargo vessels was added to the east of the Venetian harbour.
The temple of Panagitsa is located in the area of Mastabas in Heraklion. It was built in 1922 by refugees from Asia Minor, who came to Crete.
The temple is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and on its feast day on August 15th, it is honored by the inhabitants of the city and surrounding areas.
ΤΜΗΜΑ ΠΟΙΝΙΚΟΥ ΜΗΤΡΩΟΥ ΕΙΣΑΓΓΕΛΙΑΣ ΠΡΩΤΟΔΙΚΩΝ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
30ο ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
21ο ΝΗΠΙΑΓΩΓΕΙΟ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
3ο ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
16ο ΝΗΠΙΑΓΩΓΕΙΟ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
3ο ΤΕΕ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
The prefecture of Heraklion is the largest in area, lies between the prefectures of Rethymnon and Lassithi, has the greatest population and the highest per capita income of Crete. Its capital is also Heraklion and the biggest town of Crete. It has approximately 150,000 inhabitants. It concentrates the biggest economical activity of the island and attracts many tourists every year. There are so many sites which worth visiting that you can't decide where to go first. Heraklion is inhabited since antiquity. The ancient towns of Knossos, Phaestos, Malia etc. will bring you to the Minoan era. The Venetian monuments spread all over the town give Heraklion a charming image. Should you come to Heraklion, you mustn't miss visiting the archaeological museum. Heraklion is a very active city, where you can enjoy anything which comes into your mind. The best night life, cinemas, restaurants, luxury hotels, bungalows and anything that you will need to have wonderful vacations. There are seven provinces in this prefecture: Malevizi, Temenos, and Pediada on the north coast and Pirgiotisa, Kainourio, Monofatsi, and Viannos in the centre and on the south coast. The main cities are Timbaki, Ano Viannos, Matala, and Mires. The northwestern area of the prefecture of Heraklion is comprised of the three provinces of Malevizi, Temenos, and Pediada. The main city is Heraklion. This area is the largest of grape - producing areas of Crete and its main products are sultana raisins, Malevizi (Malmsey) wine, and table grapes (Rosaki). In these valleys Sir Arthur Evans, the British archaeologist, excavated the Minoan Palace of Knossos, the remains of a great civilization. A low mountain range rises in the middle of the prefecture and descends into the Messara Plain. These fertile plains have been cultivated for thousands of years and have important Minoan, Greek, and Roman archaeological sites -- Festos, Agia Triada, and Gortys are the major ones. The imposing peak of Psiloritis, 2,456 metres above sea level, is visible from almost all points of the prefecture of Heraklion. It is especially impressive during the winter months when it is snow-capped. The prefecture of Heraklion has many cultural and historical features to offer the visitor. The finest collection of Minoan artefacts in the world and the sites of one of history's greatest civilizations may be of interest as well as the numerous Byzantine churches and Venetian castles and fountains. The historical aspects combine with the scenic landscapes of mountains, valleys, and sea to make this a beautiful and fascinating area. The beaches of Agia Pelagia and Limin Hersonisou (also known as just Hersonissos) on the north coast and Matala and Kali Limenes on the south coast will attract the visitor with their warm, clear seas. There are many fine restaurants and tavernas offering Cretan specialities throughout the area. The eastern part of the Heraklion prefecture has some major tourist resorts near the sea (Limin Hersonisou), some major archaeological sites (Malia), and many important Byzantine churches. The southern area of the prefecture of Heraklion includes the four provinces of Pirgiotisa, Kainourio, Monofatsi, and Viannos. The most prominent physical feature here is the Pediada Messaras. It stretches east from Timbaki to Ano Viannos. The plain is between the low mountain ranges of the south and north. The main products of Messara are cereals, olives, and fruits. and cultivation goes on year-round, aided by the use of hothouses to increase productivity. If you love nature and sea, there are so many beaches in the north and south of the prefecture that will surely cast a spell on you. The plains of Messara give you the opportunity to enjoy the view of numerous fruit trees of all varieties and smell the air of unique natural environment.
Study and Management of the Natural Environment of Crete Public awareness, education and sensitisation of local people as well as the visitors of the area Link University activities with Cretan society Set up a network of Ecological Museums in Greece and throughout the Eastern Mediterranean
Eastern Mediterranean is unique at a global level due to the great ecological and cultural complexity. The evenness as well as the contrast, the stability, many affinities and the special features characterizes the area.The aim of the Natural History Museum of Crete is the study, protection and promotion of the special features of the area of Eastern Mediterranean.The foundation and the development of NHMC were favoured by the following conditions:
The potential of the University of Crete and its ability to promote modern technologies in the field of environment The geographical position of Crete, lying it the center of Eastern Mediterranean and the southernmost part of the European Union The warm acceptance and support of the local society
Structure and OrganizationOn the basis of the presidential law for its establishment and the university rules, NHMC:
Runs in the context of the Faculty of Science of the University of Crete Consists of five departments: zoological, botanical, anthropological, and geological - mineralogical
The laboratories and collections of the Museum are located at the premises of the University of Crete.11th International congress on the Zoogeography, Ecology and Evolution of the Eastern Mediterranean(21- 25 September 2009, Irakleio, Crete, Greece)For the exhibition halls:Opening Times and AdmissionMonday to Friday: 09:00 to 16:00Weekend: 10:00 to 17:00Natural History Museum of CreteUniversity of CreteSofokli Venizelou Avenue (west of the port of Heraklion)Heraklion, Crete GreeceTel:+30 2810 282740
1ο ΣΕΚ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ
2ο ΔΗΜΟΤΙΚΟ ΣΧΟΛΕΙΟ ΗΡΑΚΛΕΙΟΥ