Map
Photos
Info
Near
All







































Center map to
my position.
Your Position:
Unknown
Λεπτομέρειες ΕικόναςImage details
More Photos
Upload your photos for Λέντας and share them with us!
Press here.
Λέντας
Category: Town-Village
Prefecture: Heraclion
Address: Γόρτυνα
Telephone:
, Suggest



Rate Λέντας
Average: --
1
2
3
4
5
Αναφορά ως:
Report

Your Opinion
If you want to tell us your opinion about this place, please leave a comment

Post a Comment:

Λέντας




Places near Λέντας


Levena
Levena 341 hits
The archaeological investigation of the site started after the first visit of the English captain H. Spratt, in the middle of the 19th century. Excavations were carried out by the Italian Archaeological School at Athens in 1900, 1910 and 1912-13, and revealed the sanctuary and other buildings. Since then no excavation had taken place in the ancient city until recent years, when the investigations of the Greek Archaeological Service brought to light the Minoan settlement and graves. 

The most important monuments of the site are: 

1) The Temple of Asklepios. It lies at the SW edge of the terrace of the sanctuary and dates from the 1st-2nd centuries A.D. The walls, built of mudbricks with a revetment of white marble, are preserved to a height of 3.40 m. Two of the marble columns and the bases of the cult statues of Asklepios and Hygeia are preserved inside the temple. 

2) The "Treasury". It is earlier than the temple and the west portico, lying beneath the floor of the latter. It was built in the Hellenistic period (3rd century B.C.) and its floor is covered with mosaics, forming two "panels" depicting a seahorse and palmettes. The mosaic covered the mouth of the "Treasury" (a well 1.90 m. deep, where the offerings were kept). 

3) The Fountain, located to the south of the Nymphaion. 

4) Large, three-aisled basilica. Ruins of the church, dated earlier than the 9th century A.D., were found underneath the basilica of St. John. 

5) Early Minoan settlement (2600-2000 B.C.) on the low hill called Anginaropapouro. 

6) The West Stoa. It extends to the north of the temple and is almost 27 m. long. In the northern part are preserved the thresholds of three doorways leading to rooms on the west, which were probably used by the priests and the temple personnel. The West Stoa and the temple were built in the period of the heyday of the Roman Empire (1st-2nd century A.D.). 

7) The North Stoa. It was built before the temple (2nd century B.C.), into which it was later incorporated. Bases and parts of columns along with marble slabs are preserved. Most likely it was the "adyton" or "abaton" (sanctuary) of the shrine. 

8) The Nymphaion. Room with two arches built of mudbricks, located at the east edge of the North Stoa. 

9) Two large, mudbrick cisterns, used possibly for therapeutic baths.

The first habitation of the site dates from the Neolithic and Early Minoan period (3rd millenium B.C.). In the late Classical period (beginning of the 4th century B.C.) the Gortynians established the sanctuary of Asklepios at the harbour. During the tremendous earthquake of 46 B.C. the city was destroyed and subsequently rebuilt. In the Early Christian and Byzantine periods, a small settlement developed and the basilica was erected. The small Byzantine church of St. John was built in the 14th century.
 
------------
 
 
Lentas (ancient Greek: Leben - 75 km far from Heraklion City) is also known to be one of the two harbours of Gortys, which became the most prominent city of Crete after the fall of Knossos. Today in Lentas there is an archaeological site of the sanctuary of Asklepios (Greek Ασκληπειός) and the Byzantine church of St John. 

It is believed that Levin during the Roman occupation became a sanitarium were sick wealthy Romans mainly from North Africa received treatment. The treatment consisted of a diet with mineral water from an ancient spring near the temple of Asklepios, which was believed to have therapeutic properties, and local fruits.

The most important monuments of the site are:1) The Temple of Asklepios. It lies at the SW edge of the terrace of the sanctuary and dates from the 1st-2nd centuries A.D. The walls, built of mudbricks with a revetment of white marble, are preserved to a height of 3.40 m. Two of the marble columns and the bases of the cult statues of Asklepios and Hygeia are preserved inside the temple.2) The "Treasury". It is earlier than the temple and the west portico, lying beneath the floor of the latter. It was built in the Hellenistic period (3rd century B.C.) and its floor is covered with mosaics, forming two "panels" depicting a seahorse and palmettes. The mosaic covered the mouth of the "Treasury" (a well 1.90 m. deep, where the offerings were kept).3) The Fountain, located to the south of the Nymphaion.4) Large, three-aisled basilica. Ruins of the church, dated earlier than the 9th century A.D., were found underneath the basilica of St. John.5) Early Minoan settlement (2600-2000 B.C.) on the low hill called Anginaropapouro.6) The West Stoa. It extends to the north of the temple and is almost 27 m. long. In the northern part are preserved the thresholds of three doorways leading to rooms on the west, which were probably used by the priests and the temple personnel. The West Stoa and the temple were built in the period of the heyday of the Roman Empire (1st-2nd century A.D.).7) The North Stoa. It was built before the temple (2nd century B.C.), into which it was later incorporated. Bases and parts of columns along with marble slabs are preserved. Most likely it was the "adyton" or "abaton" (sanctuary) of the shrine.8) The Nymphaion. Room with two arches built of mudbricks, located at the east edge of the North Stoa.9) Two large, mudbrick cisterns, used possibly for therapeutic baths. Lentas: Aarea from Lentas Village Lendas: The Village