Places near Agios Demetrios - Agios Charalampos
Not far from Kastelli Fournis village in Mirabelo region and 17km from Neapolis Town, Lassithi prefecture, is the abandoned monastic complex of Keramos.
The establishment of the monastery is placed before 1615 by members of the Katzaras family. The monastery and its monks are mentioned in documents of the Venetian rule. The monastery appears to have continued its operation during the years of the Ottoman domination. In 1881 according to the census of that year, three monks and four non-monks lived in it.
The once catholicon of the monastery is dedicated to the Transfiguration, and it is a single-nave barrel-vaulted church. The stone-carved doorframe of its entrance located on the southern wall is crowned by a pointed relieving arch of double curvature, in which there is a carved inscription with the date 1644 and the names of the founders Georgios Katzaras, priest and his children Xenophon, Ioannikios and Manuel. The carved altar-screen is also remarkable, with impressive depictions of Adam and Eve. Numerous ruined cells and other habitats of the monastery are preserved in the perimeter of the church.